Located in the fishing village of Ocracoke on the island of Ocracoke,this is the oldest operating lighthouse in North Carolina and isequipped with a fourth-order Fresnel lens.
The present structureis the third. In 1798, a 54-foot wooden tower was built on the OcracokeInlet entrance where Edward Teach, otherwise known as "Blackbeard thePirate," lived at one time. The channel shifted, rendering thelighthouse ineffective. It was replaced by a light vessel in the inletin 1820, but by 1822 this structure was also rendered useless byshifting sands, and Congress authorized the money to build the presenttower which stands 75 feet tall. The lighthouse was cemented andwhitewashed in 1868, giving it the appearance it has today.
Originally fueled by whale oil, it is now lit by automatic electric power and shines 14 miles out to sea.