Punta Figuras Light
Punta Figuras Light (Faro Punta de Las Figuras) is an historic lighthouse located in Arroyo, Puerto Rico. It was first lit by the Spanish government in 1893. The light was relocated in 1938, and the structure was deactivated and abandoned. During World War II, the lighthouse was used as a lookout. After the U.S army abandoned the structure in 1963, the lighthouse was repeatedly vandalized. In 1969 the lens and lantern were destroyed.
In 2003, the Puerto Rican government rehabilitated the lighthouse at a cost of two million dollars. The lighthouse is located at the entrance of the "Balneario Punta Guilarte" beach resort managed by the Puerto Rico National Parks Company. 
(c) Copyright Juan C. Irizarry 2009